We have exciting and important projects being lined up for the upcoming academic year!
The research areas based on the research agenda of the laboratory (but not limited to) are the following:
- Bioinformatics (in collaboration with the Philippine Genome Center - Core Facility for Bioinformatics and Genetics Academic Group, Institute of Biology, CS, UPD)
- Protein Folding Dynamics
- Protein-Protein Interaction Network Mining
- DNA Barcoding
- Computational Finance
- Copula Models for Financial Contagion
- Energy Derivatives for Electricity Spot Markets
- Disaster Risk and Management
- Storm Surge Modeling and Prediction
- Flood Modeling and Prediction
- Modeling of Landslides, Earthquakes, and other Disasters
- Environment and Energy Engineering (in collaboration with the Environmental and Energy Engineering Programs, COE, UPD)
- Light-Driven Hydrogen Production Modeling
- Optimal Economic Policy for Natural Resource Exploitation
- Modeling Airflow for Green Buildings
- Intelligent Transport Systems (in collaboration with the National Center of Transportation Studies, COE, UPD)
- PhilMATIS (Philippine Metropolitan Advanced Traffic Information System) - Aims to develop and pilot-test an advanced traveler information system (ATIS) that will measure and record traffic volume and incidence of flooding along major roads in Metro Manila [DOST PCIEERD-funded project]
- LocalSIM - Creation of a traffic simulator with the Filipino behavior factored in; model Filipino driver's behavior. [DOST PCIEERD-funded project]
- Materials Science and Engineering (in collaboration with the Department of Mining, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, COE, UPD)
- Modeling Thermal Conductivity using Homogenization and/or Percolation Theory
We expect to be able to fund some junior-year apprentices, and conference/presentation expenses for senior-year thesis students. The laboratory also accepts qualified graduate student applicants capable of performing independent research.
Please contact the laboratory head, Dr. Adrian Roy Valdez, for more information.